Thursday, August 20, 2015

what's in a name?

What's in a name?

When naming a child, one feels pressure to select a 'perfect' name. You take into consideration who the child could become, what characteristics he/she could have. Additionally, having previously been a teacher, some names were deemed 'unusable.'

Harper Acadia. It's not a typical name. I've known for quite some time that I wanted to give my children unique names; it is likely because my name falls under that category as well--thank you, mom & dad! Harper actually stems from a visitor that attended our church. None of my students had that name, so I had no previous experience with it---aside from Harper Lee. Acadia has a beautiful story behind it.


Hiking with a 21 week baby bump!
Last October, we visited Acadia National Park in Maine. It was absolutely gorgeous--these pictures don't do it justice. We love to hike and explore, this was the perfect trip to do just that! The week before our trip, we found out that we were having a girl!

While in Acadia, we were blown away by the magnificence that we were surrounded by. As we hiked, I was struck by the beauty and the presence of the Lord. I was given a peace about this pregnancy--over our sweet daughter.

After having two miscarriages, each time I would go to the doctor, there was always a bit of hesitance present. Wondering. Doubting. Worrying. Questioning whether we were still pregnant or not. While in Acadia, I experienced a peace and comfort like never before. The Lord confirmed for me that this pregnancy was in His hands--as were the other two--and His Hands are exactly where my children belong! I was reassured that He is faithful. That regardless of my doubt, He was (and will forever be) good. Sovereign. Magnificent.

I was blown away by His Presence. His Faithfulness. His Gentle Reassurance. The beauty we were surrounded by was a minute picture of all that He has created. Because of these experiences, we wanted to raise up an Ebeneezer to forever remember that moment. Giving Harper her middle name is our physical representation and reminder of God's faithfulness in our lives.

We long to take Harper to her namesake. We want her to know that she is beautiful. We want her to know that she is in His Hands. We want her to know that her Creator is faithful. Harper Acadia is a true blessing.
Panoramic shot on one of our hikes.


No comments:

Post a Comment